Sunday, August 10, 2014

Week 33 Real Labor and Delivery

Just when I was getting used to life in the hospital and I was upgraded to a larger more pleasant room, things went bananas! I had an amazing nights sleep in my quiet new room and I had been taken off the check every 4 hours list. I woke on Sunday morning with lots of cramping and back pain. Hmmmm, I kinda recognize that back pain! It was the same I had while in labor with Austin. At about 7 a.m. I started to notice contractions and informed the nurse that I needed to hydrate and see what happens. About an hour later the contractions became more frequent and by two hours later the Doctor came in to check me. She warned me that if I was over 3 cm we were going to prep for c-section. Well, at that time I was still only 3 cm but my contractions were regular enough that I was given one dose of meds to try and stop the labor also a new IV was inserted to speed the hydrationation process. It was time to wait and see what happens.

The contractions kept coming with a series of noticeable steps. First my back would cramp, then I would feel a shortness of breath then my cervix and uterus would tighten. Yep, I was in real labor and the drugs were unable to stop my progress. By now, I had called my mom to get on the road and meet Paul at the house so she could be with Austin and he could be with me at the hospital. Laura had arrived at the hospital to accompany me in the c-section if we needed. Right when everyone got where they needed to be the doctor checked me and I was nearly 4 cm. It was GO TIME! I was casually prepped for surgery. The anesthesiologist gave me all kinds of anti-nausea meds. Laura and Paul packed up my room to take everything to my postpartum room, Laura got dressed in her scrubs and they wheeled me to the Operating Room. I had a spinal block inserted and before you know it I was numb and waiting for the babies. C-section by the way is just AWFUL! I really hated it. I felt like like I was being tickled to death when they cleaned my skin and the tugging feeling was so awkward I wanted to scream. The pressure was just unforgetable. Luckily, soon enough Kelsey Rea(Paul's grandmothers maiden name)was delivered weighing 4 pounds 15.8 ounces (only half an ounce shy of 5 pounds) at 2:59pm and within the same minute Logan Rylan(a combination of my brothers names Ryan and Dylan) arrived weighing 4 pounds 5 ounces. The doctor put him up over the screen to say hi! He was sooooo tiny. I swear the only reason I was able to make it through the surgery was because I could hear my babies crying their lungs out. Laura took some quick pictures of them and they both said hi to me all bundled up before they were rushed off to NICU for observation.

Kelsey and Mommy 
Logan after birth
My surgery ended with the doctor tying my tubes which will make it very unlikely to have anymore children. Three is definitely enough, 4 children scares me and with a possible chance of twins again, 5 children is really scary hahaha! I then enjoyed the recovery. Anything was better than that surgery! I made phone calls and texts surprising many friends because I was perfectly coherant, alert and upbeat. About an hour and a half in recovery and they wheeled me to the NICU to see our babies before heading to my postpartum room. They were so tiny and so precious.

I spent the evening adjusting to the slow process of coming down off the IV drugs and onto Percoset and motrin. Paul spent the night with me for the first and only time during my entire stay in the hospital. It was the only night I felt uncomfortable being alone because I could not function on my own. I did have my first catheter ever and I have to say it was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be and it was nice to not get out of bed to pee :)
I had a very painless night, rather dizzy but comfortable. I started pumping to urge my milk to start as soon as possible and got up twice during the night. In the morning I was accessed and all was well. My catheter and IV were removed. I got out of bed and ate a nice breakfast.

I am working on the next post which will focus on the babies first week in NICU!

No comments:

Post a Comment